I began work the peanut butter porter today. Ingredients:
12.75 oz. (includes plastic bag though) of grains (2/3 crystal malt, 1/6 black patent, 1/6 roasted barley)
3/4 oz. crystal hop pellets
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
5 3/4 oz. corn sugar
2 1/4 oz. regular sugar
11 5/8 oz. CBW special dark malt extract (Briess)
1.5 lb. DME CBW special dark
1/2 lb. peanut butter, including oil on top, Teddie natural
1/8 oz. galena hops
I ground up the grain using the grain mill of our kitchenAid (coarsest setting, slowest speed), added it to 0.75 gallons of water in a 2.5 gallon pot, put it on high heat.
While it was heating to a boil I measured out the remaining ingredients except for the galena hops. I wanted to use 8 oz. of corn sugar, but ran out (only had 5 3/4 oz.), so I used regular sugar to make up the difference (2 1/4 oz.). I was supposed to use 2.5 lb. of liquid malt extract (LME), but ran out, so I made up the difference with dried malt extract (DME). This site indicates that you should use 84% the weight required when substituting DME for LME, and I used that. For the peanut butter, I used the oil and peanut butter straight off the top.
Once the boil started, I took the pot off the heat and used a strainer to remove the grains. After that, I put it back on the heat and added all of the ingredients I had measured out. I also added a cup of water, because I was worried about everything dissolving properly, partially because I had substituted DME for LME, partially because it just seemed like I was adding a ton of stuff.
I boiled the mixture for 45 minutes. Initially at the highest heat the mixture foamed up to 3 times the original height of the water, so I reduced the heat while monitoring, eventually settling at 65%. While the mixture was boiling I sterilized the carboy and the transfer equipment.
For the last 2 minutes of the boil, I added the galena hops. I then added 1.5 gallons of cold tap water to wort. After stirring, I measured the temperature to be 100 F. I then racked it into the carboy. While racking, I added yeast (muntons) to the carboy. The temperature was technically too high, but since last time the yeast had been slow to start, I thought it would not be a problem. The auto-siphon jammed while racking, I had forgotten to but the cover piece on the end that helps prevent that, so I ended up pouring the last amount of wort directly into the carboy.
I set up the carboy in cardboard box with a bubbler, and after a few hours noticed it bubbling merrily.