Saturday, July 6, 2019

Cutting down a dead pine tree

I cut down a dead pine tree, took some live and time-lapse videos of it.

I noticed a dead pine tree - it had no pine needles, the bark at the base had lots of holes and was easily pulled off.

First, the most exciting video - when the tree comes down:

The tree was held up by adjacent trees after my initial hinge and back cuts, so I had to attach ropes and use a winch to pull it down.  I estimated the height of the tree using an app CamSextant (to get the angle to the top of the tree when I was standing ~50 feet away from the base) and some geometry, and then I placed the camera just beyond this - here is a photo of the camera and the downed tree immediately after the above video:


Here's a time-lapse video leading up to the above and starting to clean up afterwards with chainsaw and wood chipper:

Finally, here's a video of me making the hinge cut, where the tree does its initial fall and is caught by the adjacent trees:



Here are some additional photos of the tree after being felled:





No comments:

Post a Comment