Monday, September 2, 2019

Installing pavers at the end of the driveway


I always wanted to do a project with paving stones - I've always been inspired by ancient stonework, especially reading about ancient roman roads - so I decided to put a band of pavers down along the end of our driveway.

Before:


Piles of stone from PA Landers:

When removing the old pavers, the stone dust remained in a grid pattern:

After (including plate compactor rented from Botello's Lumber):
 

I basically followed the instructions in this article from This Old House (here is a link to a pdf of the article in case that link breaks).  Following that article, here's a link to a notebook I used as I was planning it, mainly figuring out how much of each type of stone to order.

I'll list what I did below, but highlight in italics things I should not have done.  I include all so it's an accurate record of what I actually did:
  1. remove existing pavers, excavate underneath it
    1. (was hoping to use the stone)
  2. Put down string/twine to use as guides
    1. ~27 feet along entrance of driveway
    2. 4 feet deep
  3. excavated to 15"
    1. moved the car out of the driveway so we could keep using it before finishing the excavation
    2. The excavation was exhausting.  My back got really sore and I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish.  Where the video stops showing it, I went and took a nap on the floor for ~2 hours, and then used a heating pad.  Somehow that worked and I was able to finish the next day
  4. Added a 6" layer of 1.5" stone (not shown in video)
  5. Went over that layer 3-4 times with a plate compactor
    1. the plate compactor was ... wild ... to use.  For example, with the throttle about half way, it appeared to be on some internal resonance and was just vibrating incredibly violently.  I suspect it was a resonance b/c a slight increase or decrease and it immediately went away
  6. Added a 4" layer of 3/4" stone
  7. Went over with the plate compactor 3-4 times
  8. Wetted the stone, went over with plate compactor again
    1. not sure where I got the idea, but the thought is that the wet stone will move more easily and can thus be made more compact
    2. should have done the same with the layer of 1.5" stone, I forgot
  9. Added a 2" layer of 3/8" gravel but just in one end of the project
  10. Put down pavers at the front/road edge - I wasn't making a level surface, I was matching the existing rolling slope of the driveway, so I did this iteratively to follow the curve
    1. adjust gravel underneath so the pavers adjacent pavers or edge of road/driveway
    2. when the paver is close to matching, use a mallet on any edge/corner that is close
  11. Continued to add pavers, building from the front/road edge to the back
  12. Neighborhood kids stop by to encourage / "help"
  13. Don't do this (yet):  When all the pavers are in place, put 3/8" stone in the largest gaps between pavers
    1. I believe when I later went over with the plate compactor this 3/8" stone forced the pavers apart which is why I recommend not doing it!
  14. Don't do this (yet):  poured stone dust over the pavers, use a broom to sweep into the cracks
    1. same reason as (13)
  15. Don't do this (yet): go over the pavers with a plate compactor in the dark
    1. Don't operate it in the dark!  That was dumb.  Nothing went wrong, but not worth the risk.
    2. I did see it produce a couple sparks though
  16. Repair pavers that were spread out due to the above (13-15) mistakes
    1. had to lift them out, remove the 3/8" stone and stone dust that had forced them apart, then align them again
  17. Use the plate compactor on the road and driveway immediately adjacent to the pavers (3-4 times)
    1. NB:  not the pavers themselves, as close as possible to the pavers without on them
    2. Goal is to firm up this area so the pavers don't move / spread when they are compacted
  18. Use the plate compactor half on the pavers, half on the road/driveway (3-4 times)
    1. goal is to work from the outer edges in to the middle, again to prevent spreading
  19. Use the plate compactor on the pavers (3-4 times)
  20. Spread 3/8 stone in any of the big gaps between the pavers
  21. Spread stone dust on the pavers, sweep into the cracks
  22. Water down the stones, repeat the stone dust
It seems pretty solid so far, certainly for walking biking, and we've driven over it several times, have not noticed any spreading / movement.  They might spread, I might need to install an edge restraint of some kind, I'll update here if that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment